Arriving September 28th (for NA) and September 29th (for everyone else), patch 5.12 is here with a number of changes, but not the Japanese destroyers nor the British cruisers; those are hopefully due out next month if everything goes well. Here’s a summary of what is in the patch, though:
- You now receive credits and XP for spotting ships and aircraft, for the damage allies do to the enemies you spot, and for blocking damage with your armour.
- Ship repair costs have been drastically changed, and now are fixed rather than being scaled based on damage taken. Overall, repair costs are now lower for all ships, especially aircraft carriers and all high-tier ships.
- Aircraft carriers now get more credits/XP for shooting down enemy aircraft.
- If you do nothing in a battle (ie. botting/AFK) you get no credits or XP at all.
- New sound and voiceovers!
- Cruisers and destroyers of tier 8 and up have access to the Steering Gears Modification 3 upgrade, reducing rudder shift time.
- New map, “Shards,” for tiers 7-10.
- Various other balance and interface changes, and so on.
The full notes can be found at the source below. Enjoy!
I’ll start by giving the sad news: no, as far as has been announced, British cruisers and new Japanese destroyers are not coming in this patch. Maybe that will change, but so far it’s looking like they’ll come with patch 5.13.
The Test Server will be up tomorrow, September 20th, at 18:30 CEST, ending on 26th September at 15:00 CEST.
Instead of new ships, in this patch we have:
- XP and credits for spotting and tanking damage
- a new map
- reduced bow armour for tier 8-10 battleships
- nerfed Udaloi and Khabarovsk
- new Steering Gears modification for tier 7-10 cruisers for mad fast turns
- punishments for people who enter a battle and do nothing
So, not a whole lot with the new ships taken out, but it’s not so bad, should certainly shake things up a bit. I’m interested to see when the other planned changes for this year arrive, since it’s creeping closer and closer to 2017.
Patch 5.11 is done testing, and it will arrive tomorrow (September 7th)! I’m being a bit hopeful, I know, but I’m thinking that the British cruisers will be finally released in patch 5.12, since in this patch they’re being added for supertesters with a little preview in the tech tree.
Also in this patch:
- The long-awaited armour viewer!
- New game mode, Epicenter
- Buffed Radar for cruisers
- ‘Archipelago’ map added, others changed
- Increased American fighter plane ammo
Now that the dust has settled on the German battleship release, it’s time to get back to the usual business – and that includes the release of regular patches, of course. This one in particular is something I’ve been looking forward to for ages now: the armour viewer.
Oh, and besides that in this patch there’s a new Random Battle game mode, map changes, a new map entirely, and a handful of balance changes. Namely:
- The reload time for the “Surveillance Radar” consumable has been lowered to make cruisers more effective against destroyers.
“Hydroacoustic Search” and “Defensive AA Fire” consumables are now placed in different slots, which will allow cruisers to choose both in order to strengthen their supporting role.
- USN fighters’ ammunition capacities have been increased by 30%. This change will make fighter configurations stronger, thus making US carriers’ roles more team-oriented and focused on protecting allies.
Edit: unfortunately, on the test server HAS and DF are still in the same slot for cruisers. Maybe that will come in the future, who knows, but right now it’s not being implemented. A bit disappointing.
The Public Test Server will be up tomorrow, August 30th, around 4:30pm GMT.
That last Q&A I posted, the one from the official news portal, wasn’t particularly great, but here’s another one from Gamescom provided by Aetam writing for Shipcomrade; the answers are coming from Jacek Pudlik, Associate Publishing Producer for Wargaming. While I don’t agree with all the answers provided, they’re fairly in-depth and frank about the topics at hand.
I’ve put any notes of my own in brackets within the Q&A itself.
On Quality of Life Changes
Wargaming wants to add more convenience features.
For example, they want to use supply boxes to announce awards. Few players check their notifications and as a result, many player do not even realize when they receive rewards. The idea here would be to have a supply ship visibly deliver the award to your port to bring special attention to gains. So the next time you unlock something, such as by leveling your account, you’ll have immediate feedback that you were awarded for that achievement.
The karma system remains a work in progress.
They are working on a multi-cluster server system which will reduce, maybe even eliminate, down times for patches. They want to introduce the option of pre-downloading a patch. So you could set a limit for the download speed and simply pre-download a patch in the background, while doing something else.
Unfortunately, they have not been able to unify the currencies between World of Warships and World of Tanks. The economies between the two games are very different and one (or both) would need to be changed to account for this.
While launch dates for new ships are not synchronized, the idea is to have them happening within 9 days of one another. [Not sure exactly what this means, regarding 9 days – probably premium ship launches across servers?]
Continue reading “Gamescom Q&A #2”
The public test just ended recently, but 5.8 is already being rolled out, starting tomorrow! It seems like after doing so many small patches, WG has become increasingly efficient at it – whether that’s a good thing or bad is yet to become apparent. We can at least hope that this patch doesn’t break anything important!
Full patch notes are at the link below, but here’s my summary:
- Bastion mode, available on the Atlantic map for tier 8-10 ships, with forts and surveillance stations to capture. Functions similarly to Domination mode.
- Two new maps: Loop and Sea of Fortune.
- Vastly improved matchmaker.
- National voices.
- New hit/penetration ribbons, and ribbons for secondary gun hits.
- Improved cruiser armour models.
- New AP shell tracers; they’re white now.
- Krasny Krym, Scharnhorst, Koenig Albert, Kaiser, Flint, and Black added to the client for testing purposes.
- More ships can move certain turrets around 360 degrees now.
The addition of Bastion mode reminds me of the cyclone that was added initially to North; it’s kinda fun, so I’m hoping it gets expanded and added to more maps and tiers. This isn’t a huge patch overall, mainly centred around the new matchmaker and new game mode, but patch 5.9 definitely looks to be great considering what should be included in it. Fingers crossed, of course.
Source: NA News Portal
Patch 5.7 is still fresh, and now we’ve got patch 5.8 on the horizon already! I really didn’t expect it this early, honestly, but it certainly isn’t a bad thing – though if you were looking forward to any real hint of German battleships, you won’t find anything in the patch notes. I suppose that’ll just have to wait for a bit later, won’t it?
You can view the full patch notes below, but here’s my quick rundown:
- New “Bastion” game mode, involving forts that played can capture that give bonuses such as line of sight and artillery/AA support. Not a PvE game mode, as suspected.
- Two new maps for tiers 7-10: “Sea of Fortune” and “Loop.”
- Improved armour models for cruisers.
- Completely new matchmaker which promises to be honest and fair, and is entirely revamped from the original one we have now. Looks pretty good.
- New, details battle ribbons for main gun hits, non-penetrations, secondary battery hits, etc., as well as an in-battle damage counter.
- Situational Awareness is fixed, and now always tells you if you’re spotted.
- National voices for commanders.
Sources: EU Website, ASIA Website